Friday, December 5, 2008

Runners Meeting #2 and Tennyson

Last night I attended the second DFMC runners meeting for the 2008-09 season. One of the things I enjoy most about these meetings and our group runs is that it brings together individuals from all walks of life who are working towards 2 common goals: running 26 miles and finding a cure for cancer. We are no longer teachers, CEOs, massage therapists, doctors, firemen, lawyers, musicians or students. We are runners and fundraisers. I love the energy, the excitement, the camaraderie, the passion for the challenges...

“That which we are, we are;
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield.”

I can’t wait to get out there and pound the pavement with the new team, however I’m still plagued by this mysterious heel injury. I’ve seen a sports orthopedic doctor, a podiatrist, even a reflexologist. (Not sure the holistic energy healing approach works for me, but I liked the foot rubbing aspect of the treatment!) It’s not a stress fracture, and doesn’t seem to show the classic signs of plantar fasciitis, yet there is tightness and pain in the heel/achilles tendon area that just won’t go away. My next step is to work with a local physical therapist for some deep tissue massage and cross-training tips. I am hoping for some holiday miracles to be performed by the team of angels at the Sports and Physical Therapy Associates in Wellesley. Patience, patience….

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice Tennyson Sarah (I use to date a dependent of his:)

As for your foot - might be time for a cortisone injection?