Sunday, December 14, 2008

Gotta Run

...BUT CAN'T RUN!!

This heel injury started to bother me in mid-October when training for the NYC marathon, and it just doesn't seem to be getting any better! Okay, I must admit that I'd lose patience with the injury every 7-10 days and go out for an easy 3-4 mile run just to "feel it out". That plan didn't work so well. So now I am committed to absolutely NO running for the month of December. My concern is that simply walking around and my daily routine also irritates the foot. Do I need some sort of boot for proper healing?? This will all be discussed when I meet with the podiatrist on Tuesday. In the mean time, taping the foot provides a certain amount of relief and stability.

"When the foot is taped properly, the fascia's movement becomes limited. Often times, athletes may tape their feet during certain times to help prevent strain during exercise. By limiting the fascia's movement, it becomes a way to keep the ligament from moving abnormally or stretching excessively and thus preventing tears from developing in the tissue. "

No comments: