Wednesday, February 17, 2010

20 miles in the bank

Last Saturday, in honor of the 10th anniversary of what was probably my best race ever, I headed out to Martha's Vineyard to run the 20 mile race they host in February. It's a great event that brings people to the island at a time that typically is pretty dead. I was a bit nervous about the distance as my longest run this season was only 16 miles. Jack made a point of reminding me (and others who were considering the race) NOT to try and race it. So the pressure was off...this was going to be a nice, long run with great views of the ocean.

However, I really didn't take Jack's good advice. In my glory days of sub 3 hour marathons, 7:30 pace was a nice, easy training pace. Today that pace is pretty much tempo/race pace! I enjoyed running with DFMC Laurie (one of our fastest female DFMCers) and new friend, Melissa, and was thrilled to cross the finish line in 2:29:31 - JUST barely breaking that 7:30 pace! That was hard work for me, and it blows my mind that I was able to run that same course in 2:04 ten years ago! Oh...the good old days!

The kids are on vacation this week, and I'm "staycationing" here in Medfield while Brian and Hannah are down in Florida and Beau is skiing in NH. I'm home to supervise Kallie who is training for a divisional meet at the end of the week. My legs felt very heavy the first few days after the race, so I'm stretching and tossing in lots of cross-training this week. SO thrilled with the new, fresh snow we got yesterday and will be heading out to the woods for some skiing pretending I'm in Lake Placid! The ski will be followed by dinner in the "village" (Noon Hill Grill)!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

And word on the street is that you won your age group?! Congrats on a great race, Sarah! See you tonight at Crossroads.